Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Something new and wonderful -- again


I'm sorry about not having written anything yesterday (July 10, 2007) but I have a good excuse.

Actually, I have the best excuse. My eldest daughter gave birth to a healthy 7-pound, 10 ounce girl. My wife and I are grandparents for the sixth time. That's three kids from each of two daughters. Our youngest daughter is still in graduate school, so this might not be the end.

Great reason for not writing, isn't it?

So, because I'm so happy that my daughter and son-in-law (the one who knows about baseball) did such a marvelous thing, eveybody gets a break. No carping or complaining this time, not about important things, anyway. Nothing about how much Bush is messing up in Iraq and lying about why the Army can't find enough cannon fodder.

This post also will be mercifully short.

Page 2

There was some time to watch the All-Star baseball game last night. Home births have an advantage in that you don't have to spend time in the hospital (if all goes well, that is, but that's another subject). So my son-in-law and I shared a mixed Guinness Stout and Rolling Rock beer. Sounds awful, doesn't it...but it's really good.

The game was so stimulating I fell asleep before the National League got its two last runs.

The game was typical. A-Rod (Alex Rodrigues of the Yankees) had only one bone-head play, messing up what looked like an easy grounder to third. He seemed to be avoiding the chance. If you don't touch the ball, you don't risk an error. He played like a man who knew his team didn't stand a chance to make the post-season. Hmmmm.

On the other side, the Boston Red Sox aquitted themselves admirably, of course. Josh Beckett was the winning pitcher, Jon Papelbon pitched a scoreless inning and Mike Lowell, a nice guy and underappreciated player, had a run.

So, the American League gets the home-field advantage should there be a real contest in the World Series.

All's well at this end.

Until next time....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, grandpa! Best wishes to all.
Rev